"Extreme" \ik-ˈstrēm\ adjective: exceeding the ordinary, usual, or expected "Christian" \ˈkris-chən adjective: of or relating to Christianity

Monday, March 16, 2015

"Paying Attention"

Please welcome a very special guest to the Extreme Christian, her name is Cheryl Nicholl and does she have an incredible and thought provoking story to share with you.

So sit back, relax and enjoy my friends, and who knows you may just learn something.
Join award winning satirist Cheryl Nicholl in her Kingdom at A Pleasant House, as she chronicles the Elegant Decay of Midlife while dancing at Royal Balls in really expensive slippers, traveling the Globe by private carriage, gardening naked at midnight, making the King crazy, and over-stating the obvious. It’s a gift.


I was raised Catholic.

My mother was French Canadian Catholic (There is hardly a more devout group).

The challenge was, that in our small northeast Ohio village, there weren’t many- Catholics that is (or French Canadians for that matter-zilch). Chagrin Falls was full-up with Protestants, Episcopals, Lutherans and Methodists.  Very white. Very proper. Secrets kept.

Our little parish had a Parish Hall, a Church, a Residence for the priests, and a small school.

I attended Saturday religious instruction classes, which were followed by Saturday confession, and Sunday Bible study that was followed by Communion.

Until I was twelve.

At twelve I had had enough- enough with the Nuns. Enough with the blind obedience. Enough with the illogical answers to logical questions:

“Why is it Eve is the one to blame for Adam disobeying?”

“She tempted him.”

“So, why did he eat the apple? Why didn’t he just say he wasn’t hungry?”

“Cheryl. Enough.”

“How could Noah know how big to build the Ark and how did he get pairs of animals on the boat that didn’t even live on his continent? Like the Kangaroo? We’re studying Australia in school and…”

“Cheryl. Enough.”

Or this gem:

I’m eight. I’m in the confessional. Father Wolfe asks me what sins I’ve committed since last Saturday. I can’t think of a one so I make one up, “Father, I killed a dog on the way to the school bus.”

“Say ten Hail Mary’s and eight Our Father’s.”

No guidance. He didn’t call me out. He was okay with the lie. 

I wonder if he crossed himself?

I, on the other hand, drew a sigh of relief. No signs of the cross forthcoming.

And, finally, the last straw:

Our Parish received a new handsome young priest when I was in seventh grade. All the girls were crazy about him, as 12 year old girls are wont to be. 

He started weekend camping trips, but just for the boys.

The boys were excited- a camping experience just for them.

It seemed down-right unfair to me.

“What? That doesn’t seem fair. I want to camp too.”

Enough, Cheryl.

About a year later, on a Monday morning at regular school, I noticed one of my male friends was acting different.

He dropped out of sports and didn’t come to any more dances.

He got quiet.

He stayed quiet.

I never asked him why.

(Over three decades later it would come to light that that very handsome young priest had been sexually abusing boys on those camping trips.)

I believe that all Religion is humanity’s attempt to understand the unknowable, bring calm to fear, and create civil behavior among an aggressive species. I believe it is, by its very structure, always abused, because Man constructs it.

I belong to no Religion but am open to understanding all of them and reserve the right to discard the imposters.

I believe that Faith is necessary to soldier on, to get out of bed, to fall in love.

I believe it is, by its very nature, personal, not something you will always find in a sermon. One must find ‘it’ deep within oneself, but that a longing for faith can be filled with misguided promises.

I have Faith. I carry it close. It is mine and no one else’s.

I believe in Belief that great men (and women) have walked this Earth preaching Love and Understanding, and Tolerance. I believe they have had a profound effect on humanity and I am thankful for them. 

I also believe, that there have been far more people who are not in the least interested in forwarding a message of Love and Understanding and Tolerance. Their motivation is power and their currency is Hatred and Fear and Singular.

To know the difference between this dysfunctional relationship we call ‘Religion’ and Sublime Guidance in the often challenging circumstances of life, is through the ability to discern between hearing and listening, between hatred and inspiration, between acceptance and tolerance.

Let’s start by paying attention.

Cheryl

What a story, really gets you thinking doesn't it? What’s right for you, may not be right for someone else, so do what you need to make it through this world of ours and allow others the same respect.

MJM

39 comments:

  1. Absolutely. So, SO much atrocity has happened in the name of religion.

    ENOUGH! Love first; details later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved this Cheryl! It couldn't have been said any better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Cheryl- what a heartbreaking testimony to how people PEOPLE are so fallen, so vulgar in their humanity... and I believe God weeps for those who are affected by those that are far from God-ly. I always say that Satan's greatest triumphs to take down God, are the very people that claim His name. So many lives broken, because of atrocities done under His name. It sickens me.

    And yet? There are countless others, who have truly carried God's purpose with love and grace and true healing and help for the lost, who deeply desire to seek God. I'm so glad there are still beacons that shine His Light, amidst the ones who shadow it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was heartbreaking. As an adult, when the Cleveland Plain Dealer broke the story- naming names- it all fell into place. The very same week, this boy (man) stopped showing up in town. He moved into deep country and I believe he's still there. And you know what happened to the priest? Nothing. They moved him to another Parish. Jesus!

      Delete
  4. I'm not so big on organized religion and some of your examples are the reason why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure we could agree on even more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Chloe. That means a lot coming from you. XXOO

      Delete
  7. I, too, attended Catholic school until 8th grade. Nuns with habits that would smack you because they could. Ornately dressed priests who never answered questions but ruled the roost. No thank you. I became to inquisitive, a bother and a distraction. Letters home to my father an attempt to reign me in. Instead I opted for public school. I have since thrown away all organized religions. But I have faith, because you need it to get by, because it has a purpose, a reason and a way. I attend Shabat as well as church every once in awhile. It's all about finding a true messenger of the word of hope. Hope is faith. So enjoyed the read, Chery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have Faith- in Love and Tolerance and Justice, NOT in oppressive gender biased religion under a roof built on the back of the poor. Thank you for stopping by Tammy. Always a pleasure.

      Delete
  8. I have to agree with you, Cheryl. I've known far too many Cafeteria Christians in my 61 years. They pick and choose what they wish to follow and find a way to get conveniently around the rest. The Bible warns about gossip. I once attended a church in which the pastor and his wife were the worst gossips in the congregation. A couple who attended that church always made a point of putting their offering in the collection plate face up, no envelope, so everyone could see how big their offering was. The pastor of another church used his position to get congregation members to buy insurance from him. The nondenominational church I currently belong to has a wonderful pastor, and most of the people who attend are good, decent people--but even that barrel has a few rotten apples. One couple in particular are really full of themselves, which was never more evident than in a confrontation we had a few years ago. There are others, but it would take too long to tell all of it here. I'm not perfect, not by a long shot, but I'm the first to acknowledge that. I don't have a lot of patience with those who try to pass themselves off as holier-than-thou. (Pharisees, anyone?)

    Sadly, the worst people I've ever encountered were people who claimed to go to church every Sunday. I guess they go, they just don't learn anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best comment EVER. Yes. I prefer the quiet nature of an inner Faith. Not one that has it's hands out every Sunday or becomes more of a vehicle for community adoration than a vehicle to 'good works'.

      Delete
  9. I'm an atheist and I approve this message. :) All kidding aside, thanks for sharing your story and your beliefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz, as uncontroversial as they are! *wink*

      Delete
  10. I love that you were asking questions at an early age, even when they tried to silence you. There was so much hidden years ago. I especially like the question you asked about Adam and Eve. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were only the TIP of the iceberg Helene. They REALLY took a deep breath when they saw me coming.... somethings never change. Ha!

      Delete
  11. Cheryl, I'm probably your extreme Christian. If you had read Earthbound or Gather The Children, you would even know which branch. No, I do not try to proselytize as God didn't give me the tongue for that. Nor, do I tell people what to believe. I will not, however, be swayed from my stance. We live in this wonderful country where we can worship where we wish or not. It just seems that more times than not, people do go out of their way to insult Christians. You can pooh pooh that if you like. I had the same question about Adam and Eve when I was twelve (that is when most Lutherans take catechism classes). My Pastor, however, took time and explained everything. He also taught a great deal of background history with every lesson. The others in the class weren't too happy about the latter, but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never dream of trying to sway you. What I'm saying here is that I'm not EXTREME in my beliefs about the Divine as per the word of Man. I absolutely support your point of view, as I would any Loving Tolerant Thoughtful person which I believe you to be. But if you weren't- if you were dictatorial in your message- I would, and do, reserve the right to disregard those beliefs. Simple enough.

      Delete
    2. LOL I knew what you were saying. I just didn't want you to have illusions about me. Of course, I will defend my position if ever attacked. That rarely happens.

      Delete
    3. I'm glad to know you better Mari. Thank you for that.

      Delete
  12. Beautifully said! Sometimes I dream about what the world would be like if we all just subscribed to the golden rule. Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. The atrocities that have been done in the name of religion are appalling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "There by I go God", said the snake to the rat. That's mine btw.

      Delete
  14. Perfectly stated: "...through the ability to discern between hearing and listening, between hatred and inspiration, between acceptance and tolerance." Standing ovation coming to you from across the country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only people would take a breath they might be able to know the difference between these emotional reactions. Thank you Ruth. I'm blushing...

      Delete
  15. Wars, persecution and other horrors have been wrought against humanity in the name of religion. i believe where there is absolute power there is corruption.
    Estelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always. Without exception. Thank you for stopping by Estelle. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  16. Cheryl. Enough. Your wisdom knows no limits and risks rendering us all foolish in comparison.
    My 85-year-old mother is a fairly devout Catholic and, therefore, wrestles with guilt each day. I'm a non-believer, but she still insists that God is within me even though I don't realise it. Her beliefs do soothe her during difficult times, like last year when my father almost died - she prayed to her God while I just hoped for the best (I wonder which strategy, if any, pulled him through?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaaaa. Hope is a kind faith too Bryan. We may not recognize it as such, but I think the message gets through anyways. I'm glad your father pulled through and thank you for stopping by. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  17. Very well written. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny. I apologize for not seeing your comment sooner.

      Delete
  18. Cheryl I know a lot about religion with growing up Amish. I have been to different churches since I left the Amish and found that they all have different views on what is the " right " way to worship that is why I don't go to a specific church anymore. I know my faith in God is what has brought me this far and my faith in him is very strong! And very personal,my heart breaks for those people that hide behind religion, we have all sinned and fall short of the glory of god! But strong faith will carry you through to the end!


    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you, darlin, for your reasonable, loving and very spiritual post today.

    ReplyDelete